How to Make Buttered Chicken: The Ultimate Guide
Buttered chicken is a dish native to Singapore, India, and Malaysia. It’s also a popular takeout choice for most Americans. There are endless ways to make this dish, but the classic version of buttered chicken only has a few simple ingredients: chicken breast, butter, salt, and pepper.
Usually, there is also some kind of sauce or glaze involved as well. The tricky part about making this dish at home is getting the flavor just right so that it’s not too salty or bland. Luckily, with the help of this how-to-make-buttered chicken guide, you’ll be sure not to overthink things!
butter chicken sauce add the chicken lemon juice super easy chicken tikka masala
Key Tips for Making Buttered Chicken
- Use chicken breast with skin on it, not chicken breast with no skin. While both types of meat are equally tender, chicken breast with skin has a better flavor.
- Add butter towards the end of cooking. Adding butter too early will cause it to burn.
- Use a 1:1 ratio of butter to chicken. If you’re using unsalted butter, add salt towards the end of cooking so that it doesn’t end up too salty.
- Coat in flour for a thicker, crunchier crust.
- Use a baking sheet with a baking rack. This will allow the butter from the chicken to drip away from the chicken so that it doesn’t get soggy.
- Use a toothpick to hold the chicken together. This will help it cook evenly and look more presentable.
- Add sauce towards the end of cooking. Sauces that contain cornstarch can cause lumps if added too early.
- Use a pot with a lid to make the sauce.
- Add more butter or cream towards the end of cooking.
- Add salt at the end of cooking.
- Use a fork to mash the potatoes instead of a masher. This will help them cook more evenly.
- Use fresh or frozen potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes while still warm.
Shredded Chicken Breast
For the most tender texture, use chicken breast with a skin on it. You can either buy it this way or remove the skin yourself. To remove the skin, simply use your hands to tear it off.
Make sure to keep the chicken breast cold until you’re ready to use it for cooking. It will be easier to shred if it’s still partially frozen. If you’re using chicken breast with skin, you’ll want to remove the skin before cooking.
You can use your hands or a pair of kitchen shears. To shred the chicken, you can use two different methods. The first is to cut the chicken into strips with a cleaver or knife. The second is to use kitchen shears to cut the chicken into thin strips.
love this recipe garam masala family loved chicken is cooked indian dishes ginger and garlic heavy cream
Sauces and Marinades
Buttered chicken is usually served with a sauce or glaze, whether it’s prepared on the stovetop or in the oven. If you’re cooking buttered chicken in the oven, it’s best to use a sauce that already contains thickening agents such as cornstarch. Sauces that use flour as a thickening agent can cause lumps when used in the oven.
If you’re making a sauce or glaze for buttered chicken, you’ll want to start with a base of either butter or oil. For every 1 cup of sauce, add 1/2 cup of butter or oil.
You could also use a combination of the two. Add any other ingredients such as garlic or a spice blend. If you’re using a fruit like orange juice or pineapple, only add it at the end of cooking so that it doesn’t burn.
Baking Instead of Frying
Buttered chicken is usually made by frying the chicken in butter. If you want to make it healthier, you can bake it instead. To do this, use a baking sheet with a baking rack and place the chicken on the rack.
This will allow the melted butter to drip away from the chicken so that it doesn’t get soggy. For a thicker, crunchier crust, coat the chicken in flour before baking it. This will also help the chicken to not get soggy.
If you’re baking buttered chicken in the oven, add extra butter so that the chicken doesn’t end up dry. You can also add cream towards the end of cooking for a creamier texture.
So there you have it – the basics of how to make buttered chicken. Buttered chicken is a popular dish, and there are so many ways to make it. Whether you bake or fry it, you can also make it healthier by using less butter and baking it in the oven.
This dish is also great served alongside mashed potatoes. Whether you want to make a classic version or try a new recipe, buttered chicken is a delicious and easy meal that can be made at home.
medium high heat slow cooker marinate chicken indian butter chicken recipe for butter chicken tomato sauce saturated fat